Sunday, November 27, 2011

YMCA

So, now that I'm not working full-time I'm officially trying to get back into some sort of shape.  The main hurdle most moms face is not having anyone to watch the baby while they work out.  And yes, you need someone to watch the baby.  People will tell you, "oh, just do a workout DVD in the living room."  Um, have you tried that yourself?  Pre-baby I too thought that was a no-brainer solution, until I bought a bunch of DVDs and gave it a whirl.  Concentrating on yoga poses while your baby rips leaves off the fake plant and throws CD cases at your head is not exactly relaxing.  Now that Audrey is a toddler she's figured out how to turn the TV on and off as well.  And when she isn't doing these things she's eating the dog food or sticking things in the toilet.  I could go on, but the point is there's really no working out at home while she's awake.  And when she finally takes a nap and I have a few minutes to myself I usually want to do something that I used to take for granted -- like shower.

I did make an attempt to run outside with her in the jog stroller but then we moved to TX and encountered the HOTTEST.SUMMER.EVER. and that plan was shot to hell too.  So, we decided to join the YMCA because they have...drumroll...free on-site childcare!  Score, right?  I immediately started fantasizing about the precious "me" time I would get at the gym, taking yoga and pilates classes and maybe even making a mom friend or two, until of course our first visit when the reality fairy showed up.  I met new-friend Amanda, who has two kids of her own, for a quick workout.  We dropped all the kids off at the childcare and started working out.  I expected some tears from Audrey so didn't think much of it when she started wailing as I walked out the door.  Fast forward 30 minutes and I look up to see a Y employee walking toward us.  "Who's baby is Audrey?" she asked.  "Mine," I replied.  "Okay," she says, "she's been crying since you dropped her off so it's time for you to come get her."  Is it bad that my first thought was, "can't you just keep her for 5 more minutes?!"  Don't get me wrong, I don't WANT Audrey to scream and cry and be miserable while we're there, but I'm also DESPERATE for some "me" time, even if it is spent on a treadmill watching reruns of Who Wants to be a Millioniare on mute.  So, our first visit was a bust.  Subsequent visits over the past 2 months haven't improved too much.  Audrey has been kicked out twice more for excessive crying and the hub is telling me to give.it.up.  Since this was my get-back-in-shape grand plan I'm not ready to throw in the towel quite yet.  What do all of you in-shape moms do?!  (And don't say 'personal trainer' or' nanny' because we're poor, okay?)

No comments:

Post a Comment