Thursday, February 23, 2012

Not so fashion forward

This post is not about my kiddo, my husband, poop, or any combination of the three. Nope. It's about me. And how I'm a little afraid of this year's fashion must-haves. The early 90s are coming back into style. Don't get me wrong. I loved the 90s. Coloring strips of my hair with food coloring because I was too scared of the permanence of Manic Panic hair dye -- that was awesome. I shared a love of red backpacks with Angela Chase and Jordan Catalano was my dream guy (ok, his status as dream guy might've gone downhill along with his taste in fashion). Even today, my iPod probably has more 90s music than it has 2000s music on it (Shiny Happy People included, which yes, I know not even the band liked at the time). I repeat, I loved the 1990s. But I think I'm gonna fight some of these trends this time around.

Printed Jeans: Is it humanly possible to carry off patterned denim without looking like they've been in my closet since 1992? I CLEARLY remember loving my striped and floral jorts back in the 7th grade. Not so sure I want to draw attention to my booty with strategically placed flowers. I don't think I'll be recreating this look.


care of Net-a-porter.com

Neon: Let's face it. As cute as skinny models might make it seem in pseudo-reality, eye-squint inducing yellow shouldn't be anyone's signature color. Especially mine.


care of Bloomingdales.com

Nature Prints: Really? I think I wore one of these dresses to my Middle School graduation. I guess I should never attempt to clean my closet out. It'll be back on the pages of In Style the second I do.


care of Instyle.com

Sheer Tops: Ok, so I'm kind of on the fence with this one. One one hand, I love girly, lacey things - and this look sort of comes close. On the other hand...I remember loving Nancy Kerrigan's costume in the '94 Olympics as a teenager. So you understand my reluctance to embrace the sheer-look whole-heartedly now. Then again, Nancy Kerrigan's costumes were designed by Vera Wang back in the day...so it had some merit even then. 90s look or not, there is some hope for me jumping back on this trend.


care of Style.com

Any halfway normal spring looks that I'm forgetting that I need to own? It's about that time to refill my closet and obviously...I need some advice.

3 comments:

  1. Is it wrong that I love that yellow dress? I promise you will never see my arse with a printed jean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps I love the dress too. Perhaps people might go blind if I stepped out in the sun in that color though... :) Neon yellow? No...Neon pink...well, maybe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I swear, I can handle just about anything as long as round sunglasses don't come back. Shudder. Although I find the "nature prints" pretty alarming as well. I'd wear neon yellow any day over one of those floral dresses :)

    ReplyDelete