Thursday, September 13, 2012

Mentally preparing for potty time

I know that my kid isn’t ready to be potty trained yet. But, as that time is creeping closer and closer by the month, I decided to take the first couple steps into the world of potty training. Because let’s face it, just say the words “potty train” and I wind up completely overwhelmed. Teaching a kid about the world of toilets feels way over my head.


Steps I’ve taken so far:

  1. I bought a book for me. However, I got sucked into Gone Girl and then into a Witch/Vampire “Harry Potter for adults” book, so I’m only on page 10 of the educational one.
  2. I bought a book for T. It’s Sesame Street. Of course. (I did think I was ordering Elmo, but alas, it was Ernie instead)
  3. I bought an on-the-seat potty. T appears terrified of it. Unless it’s on the ground. Then he likes to hold it up to his head and say “boo.”
  4. I bought a regular potty. T is not terrified of the little potty, although so far, he refuses to sit on it. Even in clothes. He much prefers to stand with his feet in the bowl.
  5. I signed up for a potty-training class. More for the social aspect of going with a friend, but some expert tips might not hurt.

Things that terrify me?

  1. Splash guards for toddler boys. Uh, gross.
  2. Driving with a newly potty trained kid in the car. Portable potties? Double gross.
  3. Shopping with a newly potty trained kid in a mall. Since I will NOT be these people.
  4. Leaving the house with a newly potty trained kid. Ever.
Is it terrible to hope that my kiddo’s daycare does most of the training for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment