Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Momographer

I don't know if I'm alone in this observation, but it seems to me that there is a fairly recent trend that equates becoming a mommy with becoming a pseudo-professional photographer. Don't get me wrong. I absolutely LOVE when I have friends that are talented behind the lens. I am majorly spoiled by a sister-in-law that basically takes professional photos of T whenever she is around him. But in general, I would say that it's safe to assume just because you have a kid, you haven't all the sudden acquired some artistic gene that will allow you to turn pictures everything he does into a photographic masterpiece. At least, that's my experience.


Not a masterpiece? I mean, really, I deserve some credit, I tried.

Me, well, I was originally planning to do the whole "buy a new camera because I'm having a baby" thing also. It was a good excuse to go shopping for me and the Hubs to feed his slight obsession with buying electronics. Only, T came early and I didn't have a chance. Good thing it worked out that way because the incident I will call Madame Tussuad's Camera Experience would have been a whole lot less "funny" if it was with a fancy-schmancy spankin' new camera instead of my good ole stand-by. What's the Madame Tussuad's Camera Experience, you ask? Picture a BBQ where a little kid with a liking for fire allegedly decided it would be cool to see what happened when he mixed a camera - mine - with a lit citronella candle and blow out the flame...Fast forward to discovering a camera fully encased in hardened wax a few hours later at the bottom of the tub of citronella. Yes, I kid you not.

Because I have a hard impossible time making decisions. I bought the latest version of what I already owned. It was just easier. No thought really required and I was hoping that I wouldn't have to crack the owner's manual. Because let's face it, it wasn't gonna happen. To my delight, several years of technology made it smaller and better (go figure) and it still has the "kids and pets" feature that at least lets me attempt to capture T doing cute things on film. Or try to. So maybe pyro-kid did me a favor after all. Now I just need to work on the creation of my first photographic masterpiece. It's due to happen one of these days, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment