Sunday, August 19, 2012

We Made It

Audrey and I made it to Delaware - yay!  The trip was pretty uneventful, aside from one mid-air meltdown, but fortunately we were near the engines and the woman next to us pretended to "sleep" through it.  We flew Southwest, which I hadn't done since before Audrey was born, and honestly I wasn't too thrilled with the experience.  We were delayed taking off, they didn't let those of us with kids board first, and they wouldn't serve anything but water on the flight.  None of these things are the end of the world, obviously, but at $300+ per ticket and with the way other parents had hyped Southwest's "kid-friendliness" to me I was a bit surprised. 

Anyway, I haven't had much time to blog since we arrived because I'm still working and having Audrey sleeping in my room doesn't result in the most quality rest each night...but she's getting to spend a lot of time with the grandparents, which is really what the trip is all about.  Since I'm missing bootcamp and my usual gym classes for 2 weeks, I've been *trying* to stay in shape by doing workouts from Bodyrock.tv. 




I'd never heard of this website but apparently it's pretty popular for working out at home or while you travel.  A few of the women in my gym classes recommended it and it's definitely kicking my butt.  Are any of you guys BodyRockers?  If so, how long have you been doing it and have you gotten good results? 

I've also been putting my blender to work for more than just margaritas and frappuccinos.  A few months back I started drinking smoothies for breakfast a few days a week, in an effort to cut carbs and sugar and get more fruit, protein and omega-3s into my diet.  The one I make the most is a blueberry protein smoothie and after a lot trial and error I think I finally have the recipe down.  Audrey calls them "smoobies" and she would drink the whole thing if I let her.  I'd probably take out the protein powder in a kids' version, but otherwise a great option for picky eaters!


Blueberry Protein Smoothie

Ingredients:
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup unsweetened plain or vanilla almond milk (you can substitute cow's milk, rice milk, coconut water or water too)
- 1 scoop whey protein powder (either plain or vanilla if you like a sweeter taste)
- 2 Tbs. ground organic flax seed
- 4 ice cubes

Directions:
Put all ingredients into a blender (ice last) and blend until smooth.

Nutritional info:
Calories - 310 (depending on what liquid you use)
Fat - 8 grams (unsaturated)
Fiber - 12 grams
Protein - 19 grams
Omega-3s - 180% DV


No comments:

Post a Comment